Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing

Books to read, recommendations and where to get the best prices.
Mojojo

Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing

Postby Mojojo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:49 pm

Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing
Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn

I've been looking at this one for a while, and lucky me got it for Christmas. Of course I have not made anything from it yet - have only had it 2 days - but am dying to try a few things. It covers everything from pickling vegetables, lemons, and curing salmon, brining, bacon, pancetta, a huge variety of sausages - fresh sausages, smoked sausages, dried sausages, other dried meats like coppa, parma hams, all kinds of hams, salamis, chorizos, confits, mustards and relishes, pates and terrines, and dressings and sauces.
Mostly it is about pork pork pork, with a bit of poultry, seafood, and beef in there.

It is written primarily for the american market, but has all the metric weights etc as well. Very well written with loads of information - I am about 3/4 of the way through it - reading it like a book, and drooling more with every page I turn! The authors are very very 'into' their subject. No photos apart from the beautiful front cover, but some illustrations for instructive purposes rather than decorative. Excellent information and recipes. I am longing to try the duck breast prosciutto, chicken basil and tomato sausages, oh, and pretty much everything. Originally was looking for a how to for making saucisson sec - the french dried sausage that we ate tonnes of while living in the UK, and we just cannot find any here. This book covers it.
We have a little hot smoker - the fish smoker type which I use for smoking chicken in for salads. That will be getting a LOT more use now I think.

Its available at Angus and Robertsons ($52) or Dymocks, is a little cheaper at Dymocks and Dymocks online.

Huxter

Re: Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing

Postby Huxter » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:47 pm

Its an excellent book ---I found it at our library and have had it out twice ,loved some of the sausage recipes .

Paul
The world needs you to grow your own food!!

Shadowgirlau

Re: Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing

Postby Shadowgirlau » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Sounds very interesting. Thankyou for sharing. I look forward to hearing all about your trials with rcipes from the new book.

Kathleen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Library”