Healthy Cattle Naturally

Books to read, recommendations and where to get the best prices.

Healthy Cattle Naturally

Postby Shadowgirlau » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:29 am

I have just read this wonderful book written by Pat Coleby. It is Australian based and is full of useful information.

The foreward begins with a quote from Dr Stuart Hill of Macdonald University, McGill, Quebec and now Sydney University.
A clever person solves problems - a wise one prevents them: in other words prevention is sometimes the only answer

I really liked that quote and it sums up why I like to research and be prepared for most things that I do including taking on the keeping of animals as we progress into our dream lifestyle of hobby farming.

Anyway this little book is easy to read and demonstates the inescapable connection between good land management and raising healthy productive animals.
As the discription says on the back of her book - Pat explains what makes cattle sick and shows how to keep them healthy using natural chemical free techniques that are cheap and easy to use.

The book covers such areas as;
- Farming in the new millenium
- Cattle for milk and Meat production
- Using soil analysis to improve your farm and stock health
- Feeding, dairy and range
- House cows and rearing calves
- Minerals and Vitamins
- Herbal and other useful remedies
- Undesirable drugs and strategies to offset them
- Common ailments and remedies to alleviate or prevent them.

Initially I was sceptical that this book would be of any real help but having read it one discovers that the author is not opposed to traditional treatments as such and does recommend that vets advice be followed if necessary but saying this she does believe that too much chemical intervention is not a good thing and alternatives have their place as well as being more gentle and natural for the animals.
I liked the easy reading aspect of the book, it is written in a way that the lay person can easily understand what she is talking about if not right away then soon after as everything was clearly explained.

The author has over 30 years experience with animal husbandry and continues to work as an agricultural consultant and adviser to Australian Farmers.

I would certainly recommend this book. It is available through Landlinks and is often advertised in the Small Farms magazine, I have seen it at the library so please ask.
the ISBN number is 0 643 06765 5
The book was written in 2002 and reprinted in 2003 2004 and 2005
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Library”