Boston Baked Beans

Sharing our recipes... all the wonderful recipes made with our produce or not.
Shadowgirlau

Boston Baked Beans

Postby Shadowgirlau » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Inspect the Navy Beans to make sure there are no broken or bad beans. Discard any bad beans that you find. Rinse the beans under cold water to make sure they are nice and clean.
Place the beans in a large stockpot and cover with 3 times the volume of water to beans (usually 6 - 8 cups) of cold water. Place covered pot in refrigerator overnight for at least 12 hours.
Once the beans have soaked overnight, they will have softened and expanded, tripling in size. Cooked the beans on the stove top for at least 30 minutes on medium-high heat. You may replace the water used to soak the beans with fresh water, just enough to cover the beans.
Once the beans have cooked, removed the starchy scum with a large spoon. I personally don't like the starch in my beans, however is can be used as a thickener in the bean pot. So, if you prefer you can keep some for the cooking process. Drain the water from the beans.
Cook the Apple Cured Bacon until just soft, and the smell of the apple is release. It's a great smell. I do this preliminary cooking of the bacon to remove as much of the bacon fat as possible. Discard the bacon fat.
Turn on the Crock pot to LOW setting.
Add 1/2 of the brown sugar, 1/2 of the Dark Molasses, 1/2 of the Chopped Onion, 1/2 of the Apple Cured Bacon, (I used ordinary bacon and also added 1 finely sliced apple although with the added apple sauce I am not sure this was really necessary) 2 Tblsp. Dark Mustard and 1 TSP salt. Add all of the drained Navy Beans to the Crock pot and stir together.
If you wanted to add back some of the previously removed starch, do so at this point, before stirring.
After ingredients are stirred together, add the remaining Apple Cured Bacon, Chopped Onion, Dark Molasses, Brown Sugar and 2 Tblsp. Apple Sauce, in that order, on top of the beans.
Place the cover on the crock pot. Cook at the LOW setting for 5 hours.
After 5 hours, quickly remove the cover and stir the Beans. Quickly replace the cover. At this point the beans do not look very done, they are still a light color, don't worry, it all cooks up good.
NOW ...... Turn the crock pot to HIGH setting.
Cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on the HIGH setting. The Baked Beans will start to turn DARK in the last 30 to 40 minutes of cooking, that's how you know your almost done. Taste the beans after 2 1/2 hours on HIGH, you may decide that they are done.
EAT THOSE BEANS !!!!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “Recipe sharing at the Kitchen Bench”