Q. When should jars be sterilized?

Here's some general question many people ask when starting out... If you have an FAQ you'd like to post please contact us.
Forum rules
These FAQs are aimed to assist preservers and those making dairy products.

Q. When should jars be sterilized?

Postby Shadowgirlau » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:53 am

A. Personally I sterilize all of my jars regardless of the type of processing I am about to do.
However, it is recommended in a lot of cooking books that -

All jams, jellies, and pickled products whether processed less than 10 minutes or not at all (if you follow the Australian recipes and methods) should be filled into sterile, empty jars.

To sterilize empty jars, put them right side up on a rack in a pot of boiling-water. Fill the pot and jars with hot (not boiling) water to 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Boil 10 minutes. Remove and drain hot sterilized jars one at a time. Save the hot water for processing filled jars if you are going to process. Another option is to place washed and rinsed jars into the oven and heat for 20 minutes on 180C then turn to low to keep hot until ready to use.

Empty jars used for vegetables, meats, and fruits to be processed in a pressure canner need not be pre sterilised. It is also not necessary to presterilize jars for fruits, tomatoes, and pickled or fermented products that will be processed 10 minutes or longer in a boiling-water bath. Again, personally I prefer to sterilize all my jars as the health and well being of my family and friends is very important to me.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Return to “FAQs and Tips/Tricks on preserving, canning and cheesemaking”