Moon Gardening

Get down and dirty growing your food...
Shadowgirlau

Moon Gardening

Postby Shadowgirlau » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Have just planted my second batch of above ground seedlings. Cauliflower, broccoli, Brussel sprouts and cabbage so far. We tried moon gardening about 6 yrs ago I think it was and had a great little garden. As I was a little sceptical (though I don't know why really) we planted as we felt able to rather than according to the moon calender the following year with poorer results so it was back to the moon garden calender. Fabulous results with the veggies all growing fast, and healthy. DD and I then became busy so DH was left to do the garden. No moon gardening and poor results as in lots of pests, straggly plants and poor germination for the effort. Now we are both home again, I have returned to the veggie patch and you guessed it feel very confident that moon gardening is definately the way to go.

This afternoon I have planted a row of parsley next to my cemerging carrot seedlings. Parsley is a companion plant to carrots as it helps keep carrot fly at bay. My next planting will be below ground so more carrots, parsnips (did very poorly last 2 yrs), turnip at the very least.

Surely some one out there has been busy in the garden?

Kathleen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Shadowgirlau

Re: Moon Gardening

Postby Shadowgirlau » Fri May 09, 2014 8:47 am

Still busy in the garden. This month I have planted Chinese cabbage and broad beans for above ground plants so far. Have sown another two rows of carrots and parsnips and also resown both of these in the areas where germination was not so good. Not that there was no germination at all but rather the seeds were clumped too closely. Have thinned out these areas and transplanted the thinning s in the hope that these will take. Had another two rows of thinning s so the bed is getting quite full.

Next on the to plant list will be kohlrabi, celeriac, both golden and red globe beetroot and swede/turnips for below ground.

DH has finished the second lot of garden frames and is very pleased so far. The frames are the length and breadth of the garden beds, covered with shade cloth on each side and a fine insect screen on the cover. I doubt any of those pesky white cabbage butterflies will get into these babies.

Cheers
Kathleen
- John Lennon

Shadowgirlau

Re: Moon Gardening

Postby Shadowgirlau » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:46 pm

What a morning, DD and I went into the veggie patch this morning to do a spot of weeding as this week it is time to weed and prepare beds for future use. It seems the weeds took exception to my pulling them last month and appear to have grown back twofold however after 4 hours our veggie beds are looking pristine again. Next time I am in town though I shall have to pick up a bale of mulch just the same.

I did notice as I weeded that we have been invaded by these conical tiny shelled snails, (not sure what they are called)? which means some research is needed sometime today so I can eradicate them organically if possible.

We left the brasicca bed till last and what a shock to see that we had to pick 3 heads of broccolli, a head of cabbage (2 were ready) and the same of cauliflower. After harvesting watering and cutting back excess leaf cover to allow more airflow I sprinkled on some vegetable dust and covered the bed up again.

DD has been telling me for ages that I really should be growing and selling my vegetable and fruits in season. When I was helping her in her cafe I took over making jams/marmalades and other preserves for her as the chap who made them passed away and they were very popular, so she also thinks I should continue making these as well. As some of my fruit trees are begining to produce quite well nowadays maybe I will?

In the meantime as I sit here restiong my weary bones I can see her sitting there drawing up plans to extend my vegetable garden. She just mentioned that I need to buy a greenhouse or is it hot house so goodness knows what is going to come next? :lol: Guess I had better start looking for all my packed away books on gardening and make sure I have enough jars and lids etc too just ic case she really means it!

How are your gardens going this winter? I found my carrots although growing well, remain a little slow and patchy inspite of my over sowing with new seed. I did notice that my parsnips which I had thought didn't look like they were amounting to much are also finally germinating so along with the broad beans and brassicas it all looks great.

Tomorrow I just have my front flower garden to weed and prepare for the potted colour which I hope bring home next time I go to town as well. That garden has been planted out with white irises on one side of the circle and I'll mass plant the mixed potted colour plants on their opposite side and hope my vision meets my expectations come spring.

I plan on transplanting my gardenias from the west side of the property to the east where they will only get morning sun and not be baked in the afternoon come summer. Havbe prepared their planting holes now just need to dick them up and move them. In their place I am planting Virginian creeper which will grow up a pergola. The back of the cottage gets very hot in summer so Virgian creeper being decidous seemed like a great choice. It grows quickly and vigorously so I will need to keep on top of it however that will not be too much of a problem I hope?

Happy gardening All
- John Lennon

Return to “Aussie Gardening - Growing your own food”